Thread: Why my IP address was blocked?

View Newest Posts

CJ-EUK is offline Customer Relations

Default Why my IP address was blocked?

Some of us face the issue that our website is not accessed by us but can be accessed by our friends & customers. This could mean that the local machine IP address is blocked by the server firewall. You will not be able to access your website, cPanel, FTP, or email.

We quickly contact our support department saying “I can’t see my website” or “My website is down”.
    After few preliminary checks they inform us that “your IP was blocked.”

The first question to follow is WHY?

Here is a list of various possible reasons……

• Unsuccessful login attempts: five (5) failed attempts within 300 seconds. They include

• Failed cPanel login
    • Failed POP3/IMAP or webmail login
    • Failed FTP/SSH login
    • Failed web page login

• If there are 100+ simultaneous connections attempted from one IP
    • Exceeded maximum number of simultaneous FTP connections.
    • Several disconnects and reconnects in a short period of time may cause it
    • IP is Temporary blocked for 10 minutes. After 3 Temporary blocks, IP is permanently blocked.
    • Range of IP addresses may be manually blocked due to security reasons, in extreme situations.

Shared Servers are setup to protect themselves if they perceive a threat by blocking the IP.

Please NOTE: To Un-block your IP, you will have to contact the Support department.

Brian is offline Voluntary Moderator

Default Re: Why my IP address was blocked?

Multiple connections on FTP has always been my problem =)
    Dont forget to set your FTP program to not do that lol

Tux
    Tux is offline System Administrator

If your IP getting blocked due to maximum number of simultaneous FTP connections , make sure that you are not doing maximum files upload and download via ftp . If yes, Do the upload and download in compressed form like .ZiP .tar. .rar etc to avoid IP block

There are few more reasons for IP address getting blocked in firewall .

================================================== ==========================
    Wrong ssh login attempt.

(sshd) Failed SSH login from 192.168.XX.XX (CN/China/-): 5 in the last 300 secs'
    Wrong SMTP login attempt.

(smtpauth) Failed SMTP AUTH login from 192.168.XX.XX (US/United States/mail.domain.com): 5 in the last 300 secs' - Wed Oct 10 19:08:43 2012

Mod_security Triggered.

(mod_security) mod_security triggered by 192.168.XX.XX (ZA/South Africa/-): 5 in the last 300 secs' - Fri Oct 12 22:41:01 2012

Wrong POP3 login attempt.

(pop3d) Failed POP3 login from 192.168.XX.XX (US/United States/66-122-65-235.stat.domain.net): 10 in the last 300 secs' - Sun Oct 14 11:30:37 2012

Wrong FTP Login attempt.

(ftpd) Failed FTP login from 192.168.XX.XX (US/United States/cpe-98-24-168-33.nyc.domain.com): 5 in the last 300 secs' - Sat Oct 20 22:53:01 2012
    *Port Scan not allowed *

Oct 16 04:03:38 server lfd[19786]: *Port Scan* detected from 192.168.XX.XX (RS/Serbia/-). 11 hits in the last 171 seconds - *Blocked in csf* for 3600 secs [PS_LIMIT]

Nathan_S is offline Employee

Hi,

If, multiple connections on FTP has always been your problem then check while downloading/uploading the files FileZilla using multiple connections or not. If, yes then make sure you select passive connection under transfer settings of FileZilla , there is another workaround.
    =================
    1. Open the Site Manager (File - Site Manager... or the first toolbar button)
    2. Create an entry for that server, enter all details you know, the more precise, the better
    3. Open the 'Transfer Settings' tab
    4. Tick the 'Limit number of simultaneous connections' checkbox
    5. Enter the desired limit into the 'Maximum number of connections' field
    Now, if you connect using the Site Manager entry, connections will be limited.
    If these tricks do not work then please use WS_FTP pro FTP client with passive mode as this client doesn't create multiple connections while uploading or downloading files.
    =================

Thanks & Regards,
    Nathan S.
    Linux Technical Support

Thread Information